Virtual Puppy Start Right Preschool
Let’s get you and your new family member off to a great start!
Over the course of four 60-minute virtual training sessions, you’ll receive the necessary knowledge and foundation experiences to help your puppy develop into a wonderful companion. With a little work and a lot of fun, you and your puppy will build the foundation for a lifelong friendship. Puppy Start Right Preschool is designed to: facilitate puppy socialization; ensure positive exposure to novel sights, sounds, substrates, and experiences; address normal puppy behaviours; and prevent the development of behaviour problems later in life
Current research shows that the primary and most important time for puppy socialization is the first three months of life. During this time puppies should be exposed to as many new people, animals, stimuli, and environments as can be achieved safely and without causing over-stimulation, as per the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour. For this reason, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated.
Your puppy should be between 7 weeks and 12 weeks old at the START of your 4-week preschool (the earlier, the better!)
Medical requirements to keep your puppy safe:
- first core set of puppy vaccines a minimum of 10 days prior to starting preschool
- Bordetella vaccine (oral or intra-nasal) a minimum of 7 days prior to starting preschool
- a negative fecal test (for parasites)
- Crate training
- House training
- Jumping / polite greetings
- Bite inhibition – effective strategies for chewing, play biting & nipping
- Learning how to share (food, bones, toys, humans)
- Problem puppy behaviours – counter surfing, stealing objects, digging
- Effective & safe socialization
- Handling & grooming
- Introduction to basic obedience behaviours
What’s Included in the Cost
- Four 60-minute weekly Zoom video sessions — receive instant feedback on socialization and training with your puppy in real time! These Zoom videos are recorded so you can watch them again for additional learning.
- Your very own copy of the Puppy Start Right: Foundation Training for the Companion Dog book, written by Dr. Kenneth M. Martin and Debbie Martin, a husband & wife veterinarian & trainer team (a $30 value)
- Your very own copy of the Puppy Start Right Preschool videos that accompany the book (a $19 value)
- A Doggone Good! Rapid Rewards treat pouch & belt – the Cadillac of treat pouches! (a $30 value)
- A clicker with attached wrist coil (a $4 value)
Puppy Start Right PreschoolVirtual Training Sessions
IN YOUR OWN LIVING ROOM!
Through the magic of simple and easy to use (seriously, only one click!) technology, we come directly to you through your computer screen, tablet, or smart phone. The only things you need are an Internet connection and a webcam / microphone.