Puppy Start Right Preschool Group Classes
Let’s get you and your new family member off to a great start!
Over the course of five 60-minute group classes, you’ll receive the necessary knowledge and foundation experiences to help your puppy develop into a wonderful companion. With a little work and a lot of fun, you and your puppy will build the foundation for a lifelong friendship. Puppy Start Right Preschool is designed to facilitate socialization, address normal puppy behaviours, and prevent the development of behaviour problems later in life.
Puppy Start Right Preschool group classes are based on open enrollment, which means that you and your puppy can start at any time (please see the requirements below)!
The first class is a mandatory Orientation session that you attend without your puppy. The Orientation session takes place on Sundays from 5PM to 6PM. Once you attend an Orientation session, you can sign up for the remaining four classes.
The next four classes are filled with lots of fun and learning, as we introduce your puppy to a variety of new sounds, surfaces, objects, and basic body handling, as well as have a bit of safe puppy playtime. These classes take place on either Mondays ~ OR ~ Wednesdays from 6PM to 7PM. You attend group classes on the same night of the week for the entire Puppy Start Right Preschool.
Current research shows that the primary and most important time for puppy socialization is the first three months of life. During this time puppies should be exposed to as many new people, animals, stimuli, and environments as can be achieved safely and without causing over-stimulation, as per the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour. For this reason, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated.
Your puppy should be between 7 weeks and 12 weeks old at the START of your 5-week Preschool (the earlier, the better!)
Medical requirements to keep your puppy safe:
- First core set of puppy vaccines a minimum of 10 days prior to starting Preschool.
- Bordetella vaccine (oral or intra-nasal) a minimum of 7 days prior to starting Preschool.
- A negative fecal test (for parasites).
- Crate training
- House training
- Jumping / polite greetings
- Bite inhibition – effective strategies for chewing, play biting & nipping
- Learning how to share (food, bones, toys, humans)
- Problem puppy behaviours – counter surfing, stealing objects, digging
- Effective & safe socialization
- Handling & grooming
- Introduction to basic obedience behaviours
What’s Included in the Cost
- Small group classes that allow for personalized attention.
- First class is a mandatory Orientation session WITHOUT your puppy.
- Your very own copy of the Puppy Start Right: Foundation Training for the Companion Dog book, written by Dr. Kenneth M. Martin and Debbie Martin, a husband & wife veterinarian & trainer team (a $30 value).
- A Doggone Good! Rapid Rewards treat pouch & belt – the Cadillac of treat pouches! (a $30 value).
- A clicker with attached wrist coil (a $4 value).
Puppy Start Right PreschoolGroup Classes
ORIENTATION SESSION: SUNDAYS 5PM - 6PM
MONDAYS 6PM - 7PM
~ OR ~
WEDNESDAYS 6PM - 7PM
LOCATION: HARMONY TRAINING CENTRE
#104 - 20559 FRASER HWY, LANGLEY
CLASSES ARE HELD WITH COVID-19 SAFETY PRECAUTIONS IN PLACE
ONE HANDLER PER DOG, VACCINE PASSPORT & MASK REQUIRED