Puppy Start Right Preschool Group Classes
Let’s get you and your new family member off to a great start!
Over the course of five 60-minute group classes, you’ll receive the necessary knowledge and foundation experiences to help your puppy develop into a wonderful companion. With a little work and a lot of fun, you and your puppy will build the foundation for a lifelong friendship. Puppy Start Right Preschool is designed to facilitate socialization, address normal puppy behaviours, and prevent the development of behaviour problems later in life.
The first class is a mandatory Orientation session that you attend without your puppy. The next four classes are filled with lots of fun and learning, as we introduce your puppy to a variety of new sounds, surfaces, objects, and basic body handling, as well as have a bit of safe puppy playtime.
Orientation sessions are held every Thursday from 7pm – 8pm at our training facility in Langley, BC. Once you’ve attended an Orientation session, you are then able to attend Puppy Start Right Preschool group classes which are held every Monday from 6pm – 7pm. There are four separate modules that will be rotated on a set schedule every week. Enrollment is ongoing, so there’s no need to wait!
Current research shows that the primary and most important time for puppy socialization is the first three months of life. During this time puppies should be exposed to as many new people, animals, stimuli, and environments as can be achieved safely and without causing over-stimulation, as per the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour. For this reason, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated.
Your puppy should be between 7 weeks and 12 weeks old at the START of your 5-week Preschool (the earlier, the better!)
Medical requirements to keep your puppy safe:
- First core set of puppy vaccines a minimum of 10 days prior to starting Preschool.
- Bordetella vaccine (oral or intra-nasal) a minimum of 7 days prior to starting Preschool.
- A negative fecal test (for parasites).
- Socialization to novel objects, surfaces & sounds
- Handling & grooming
- Crate / independence training
- Potty training
- Jumping / polite greetings
- Effective strategies for chewing, play biting & nipping
- Learning how to share (food, bones, toys, humans)
- Problem puppy behaviours – counter surfing, stealing objects, digging
- Introduction to basic obedience behaviours
What’s Included in the Cost
- Small group classes that allow for personalized attention.
- First class is a mandatory Orientation session WITHOUT your puppy.
- Your very own copy of the Puppy Start Right: Foundation Training for the Companion Dog book, written by Dr. Kenneth M. Martin and Debbie Martin, a husband & wife veterinarian & trainer team (a $30 value).
- A Doggone Good! Rapid Rewards treat pouch & belt – the Cadillac of treat pouches! (a $30 value).
- A clicker with attached wrist coil (a $4 value).
Puppy Start Right Preschool
THURSDAYS 7PM - 8PM
ONGOING THROUGHOUT THE YEAR
PUPPY START RIGHT PRESCHOOL CLASSES
MONDAYS 6PM - 7PM
HARMONY TRAINING CENTRE
#104 - 20559 FRASER HWY, LANGLEY
CLASSES ARE HELD WITH COVID-19 SAFETY PRECAUTIONS IN PLACE
TWO HANDLERS PER DOG, MASKS RECOMMENDED/ENCOURAGED