Owner & Head Trainer
Owner & Head Trainer, Brigette Mayer, is a Certified Professional Dog Trainer (CPDT-KA), a Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner (KPA CTP), a Puppy Start Right Preschool instructor, an Associate Nose Work Instructor (ANWI) through the National Association of Canine Scent Work (NACSW), a Fear Free Certified Professional, and a licensed ‘Be a Tree’ dog bite prevention educator. When she’s not geeking out over dogs and the science behind animal behaviour and training, she loves to travel, drink craft beer and cider, and be involved in her community of Langley, BC.
Brigette’s passion for animals began at a very young age. She grew up with a multitude of animals – many dogs, cats, and fish accompanied her through her early lessons and travels.
Brigette was first introduced to clicker training upon rescuing her fearful Formosan Mountain Dog cross, Lulu. Brigette saw first-hand the vast improvements made with Lulu using this method of fear- and force-free positive reinforcement and has been hooked ever since!
Brigette is currently owned by her old lady doggo, Lulu, and two sister cats, Maya and Hazel (and has fond, everlasting memories of Jax and Queen Calli Boo the Kitty). Brigette trains and competes in nose work and agility and she also clicker trains her cats for fun (and to reinforce the value of patience!)
Certifications & Accreditations
- National Association of Canine Scent Work instructor program (CNWI) – currently enrolled
- BC SPCA AnimalKind accredited – 2019
- Certified Professional Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA) – 2019
- Karen Pryor Academy Puppy Start Right for Instructors – 2017
- Licensed ‘Be A Tree’ dog bite prevention educator – 2017
- Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner (KPA CTP) – 2016
- Fear Free Certified Professional – 2016
- Karen Pryor Academy Dog Trainer Foundations – 2014
- dog*tec Dog Walking Academy graduate – 2013
- DogSafe certified in Pet First Aid and CPR
Brigette continually expands her knowledge and skill set through further educational opportunities and conferences.
- Clicker Expo annual conference – Karen Pryor Academy
- Annual conference – IAABC
- The Aggression in Dogs conference – The Loose Leash Academy
- Aggression in Dogs – Michael Shikashio, Aggressive Dog
- Living and Learning with Animals for Professionals – Dr. Susan Friedman, Behavior Works
- The Ranch Experience – Ken Ramirez, Karen Pryor National Training Center
- Chicken Camp – Terry Ryan hosted by Kitsap Animal Rescue & Education
- Professional Member of the Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT)
- Supporting Member of the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC)
- Professional Member of the Pet Professional Guild (PPG)